Regular licence

Conditions for obtaining a regular licence

** WARNING ***


If you are the holder of a valid temporary licence (special event, investigation or work-study program) and wish to obtain a regular agent licence, please see the required conditions and obligations, and use the applicable form (194.001).

See the (APPLY ONLINE section).


Thinking about a career in private security? Do you meet all the prerequisites for obtaining the mandatory licence? Consult the list below to find out what they are. 

Individual entrepreneurs: Both agents and agencies

Individual entrepreneurs are subject to the PSA both as agencies, because they offer private security services to the public, and as agents, because they carry on the services they offer.

Self-employed individuals must therefore hold both an agency licence AND an agent licence in the appropriate class.

If you are self-employed, go to the Agency section to learn more about your obligations. 

Do you meet the age requirement?

To get a regular agent licence, you must be at least 18 years of age.  

Do you have the required training or equivalent knowledge and skills?

When applying for a licence, and depending on the desired licence class, you must demonstrate that you have successfully completed the mandatory training prescribed by regulation.

You may also request an analysis of the equivalence of your knowledge and skills if you have not completed the required training. 

The required training


School service centres and School board

The mandatory training as per the Regulation regarding the private security guarding training requires to have successfully completed at least 70 hours of training in an institution from a School service centre or a School board which offers a program in private security guarding, and delivers a training certificate.

This course includes three mandatory modules:

  • Environment, functions. legislation and standards of conduct (30 hours)
  • Emergency procedures (24 hours)
  • First aid in the workplace, recognized by CNESST (16 hours)

To learn more about this training or to know what are the dates of the upcoming training courses given at a School service centre or a School board in your region, you can notably consult the website at  

Other security guarding training courses recognized by the Ministry of Public Security

In accordance with Section 112.1 of the PSA and following the recognition by the Ministry of Public Security of certain guarding training courses other than those stipulated in the Regulation regarding the training that are required, the BSP accepts the following training courses provided that they are taken and successfully completed from the date on which they have met all the recognition criteria.

To learn more about the other security guarding training course recognized by the Ministry of Public Security



You have three options:

  • You must have successfully completed the 135-hour course “Initiation aux techniques d’enquête et d’investigation” offered in a college-level educational institution;
  • You must have obtained, within the past five years, a college diploma in police technology or an equivalent diploma recognized by Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES).
  • You must have obtained, within the past five years, a bachelor’s degree in security and police studies or an equivalent degree recognized by Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES).

Electronic security systems:

Under the PSA and its regulations, no specific training is required to obtain a licence in this class.

Caution! Training to carry on an activity related to electronic security systems may be required by another body regulating this sector, such as Commission de la construction du Québec.  

Locksmith work:

You must obtain a diploma of vocational studies in locksmithing or its equivalent recognized by Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES).

For more information about this training course and the next dates it will be offered by a school service centre in your area, go to the Inforoute de la Formation professionnelle et technique website.  

Also, be aware that the following three School service centres: Des Grandes-Seigneuries School service centre, Marguerite-Bourgeoys School service centre and The Capitale School service centre now offer the DEP in locksmithing in "WSA" mode (work-study alternation).


Transport of valuables:

You must successfully complete training on the handling of firearm and the use of force provided by an instructor qualified by École nationale de police du Québec (ENPQ).

Accredited ENPQ qualified instructors offer their services directly to valuables transport agencies that have an agency licence issued by BSP. You must therefore contact these agencies to complete the required training.  

Security consulting:

There is no specific training required for security consulting. However, you must demonstrate to BSP’s satisfaction that you have the practical knowledge and professional skills necessary to provide security consulting services. You must be able to provide consulting services on protection against theft, intrusion, or vandalism independently from security guarding, investigation, locksmith work, electronic security systems, and valuables transport activities, particularly by developing plans or specifications or presenting projects.

To do this, your file may include:

  • A copy of your résumé along with proof of employment or client testimonials, including a detailed description of the duties performed and the duration of each job or assignment
  • A copy of relevant diplomas, transcripts, or training certificates
  • Examples of completed projects  

Evaluation of equivalence of knowledge and skills

If you have not completed the required training for the desired agent licence class but think you have sufficient, relevant knowledge, you may submit a request to BSP to evaluate your knowledge and skills in relation to the required training.

You must therefore provide proof of the following, which will be taken into consideration when evaluating your file:

  • Diplomas obtained in relevant or related fields
  • Nature and content of courses you have completed as well as the results you obtained
  • Internships and other training activities you have completed
  • Nature and duration of your experience in security

Caution! A résumé is not proof of your experience. You must obtain proof of employment from your employers. To do this, we recommend using the following templates:

Below is some additional information to guide you in your request for an evaluation of the equivalence of knowledge and skills.  

Security guarding

You can obtain a confirmation letter of hours worked in security guarding from the Parity Committee for security guards by submitting a request directly online at, by email at, or by fax at 514-493-6661.

Furthermore, proof of the successful completion of a 16-hour workplace first aid course, issued by a CNESST-accredited body, is required for any request for an evaluation of the equivalence of knowledge and skills. To find out where this training is offered in your area, refer to the Liste provinciale des organismes de formation en secourisme au travail.  


Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe offers recognition of prior learning and competencies service for the Initiation aux techniques d’enquête et d’investigation program.  

Locksmith work

Commission scolaire Marguerite-Bourgeoys offers recognition of prior learning and competencies service for the locksmith vocational training program.  

Commission scolaire de la Capitale offers recognition of prior learning and competencies service for the locksmith vocational training program.  

Commission scolaire des Grandes-Seigneuries offers recognition of prior learning and competencies service for the locksmith vocational training program.

Transport of valuables

You can send us a valid Authorization to Carry Restricted Firearms and Certain Handguns (ATC) issued by the Chief Firearms Officer for Québec.

Caution! Do not confuse an ATC with a firearm Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL). A PAL is not equivalent to an ATC or the training required under the regulation for an agent in the Transport of valuables class. 

Do you have a criminal history?

To get an agent licence, and throughout the term of your licence, you must:

  • Have never been found guilty of a criminal offence related to the private security activity for which you are applying for a licence, unless you have obtained a pardon; and
  • Be of good moral character, i.e., you conduct yourself in accordance with society’s moral and social values.

To determine whether you meet these criteria, BSP must send your personal information to Sûreté du Québec (SQ) so that it can perform a security check. SQ will then inform BSP of the results of its verification and give its opinion as to whether the criteria have been met.

Upon receipt of this information, BSP will determine whether you meet the criminal history and moral character criteria.

Are you a canadian citizen, permanent resident or do you have a work permit in Canada?

In order to obtain an agent licence, a person must have Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or a work permit in Canada issued by the competent authority. It is the duty of this person to ensure that his or her work permit is in force for the time that he or she wishes to carry on private security activities and to notify the Bureau when his or her work permit is no longer valid. 


Please note that the study permit is not accepted by the Bureau de la sécurité privée.

Are you in physical and mental condition which allows you to carry on a private security activity?

In order to be able to obtain an agent licence in private security, a person must be in a physical and mental condition such as he or she is able to carry on the private activity for which the licence is applied for or issued. Only at the request of the Bureau, a person may be required to submit a medical certificate to confirm this fact.

Have you read the obligations associated with the licence?

When you sign your licence application form, you declare that you are aware of your responsibilities and obligations if you are issued a licence.

Please familiarize yourself with them now if you haven’t already done so.

(Obligations Associated with an Agent Licence)

Do you have all the relevant documents on hand?

Get ready! To be processed, your application must be accompanied by the following documents:

A copy of both sides of two (2) different valid pieces of identification from the lists below to meet the following conditions:




Condition 1 :

Piece of identification issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government or, failing that, by a foreign government*, containing at the least your name, date of birth, photo and signature.

A copy of both sides of your valid driver licence in Canada (preferred, if you hold one)


Or, if not, choose a document from List 1 below:

  • valid health insurance card;
  • valid passport;
  • certificate of Indian status;
  • any other valid piece of identification issued by a canadien or foreign government including your name, photo, signature and date of birth*.

* Any piece of identification must be in French or English, otherwise you must also provide us with a translation into one of these official languages made by a member of the Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec.

Condition 2 :

Document evidencing that you have Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or a work permit issued by the competent Canadian immigration authorities.

Choose a document from List 2 below (must be different from the one chosen from List 1):

  • birth certificate from a Canadian province or territory;
  • valid Canadian passport;
  • Canadian citizenship certificate;
  • Canadian citizenship card (card with photo);
  • certificate of Indian status;
  • permanent resident card or Confirmation of Permanent Residence;
  • valid work permit in Canada.


Two (2) identical colour passport-size (5 cm x 7 cm) photos taken within six (6) months prior to application. The photo must be taken facing front, against a white background, showing your full face from the shoulders up, with your head uncovered, and dated on the back with a date stamp. The back of one photo must be certified by your respondent.

Note: Hats and head coverings must not be worn unless they are worn daily for religious or medical reasons. However, your full face must be clearly visible and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face. 



Choose your respondent carefully!

Make sure your respondent meets the following criteria:

  • Is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • Is 18 or over
  • Has personally known you for at least one year
  • Is available for verification by BSP

If you do not know anyone who meets all these criteria, the only person authorized to certify your photo is a commissioner of oaths, notary, or lawyer.

Make sure your respondent completes and signs the respondent’s declaration on the form and signs one of your photos. 

  • Documents certifying that you meet the training and/or equivalency requirements, if applicable (e.g., diplomas, transcripts, and proof of employment from current and previous employers describing the main duties performed, the number of years of continuous service, and the number of hours worked annually).  
  • For Security Guarding applications: A legible copy of your valid workplace first aid card (CNESST 16-hour training).  

Go to the Complete an Application section when you’re ready!