In Quebec, you must have an agent licence issued by BSP to:
- Carry on one of the following six private security activities or
- Act as the immediate superior of someone who carries on one of the following six private security activities
|Private security activities subject to the PSA|
Watching or protecting persons, property or premises, mainly to prevent crime and maintain order.
Searching for persons, information or property, particularly:
Locksmith work, namely:
- Installing, maintaining and repairing mechanical and electronic locking devices
- Installing, maintaining and repairing or changing the combinations of safes, vaults and safety deposit boxes
- Designing and managing master key systems
- Maintaining key code records
- Cutting keys otherwise that by duplicating existing keys
- Unlocking a building door, piece of furniture or safe otherwise than by using a key or following the prescribed procedure
Electronic Security Systems
Installing, maintaining and repairing, and ensuring the continuous remote monitoring of :
(except vehicle security systems).
Transport of valuables
The transport of valuables.
Providing consulting services on protection against theft, intrusion or vandalism independently from other private security activities, particularly by:
Some individuals who carry on activities subject to the PSA are, however, exempt from it. To learn more, please read Section 2 of the Private Security Act.
To determine what type of licence you should apply for, identify which of the following statements best represents your situation:
1. ''I would like to carry on a private security activity either full or part time".
Go to the Regular Licence section.
Anyone who carries on a private security activity in Quebec must have an agent licence in the appropriate class(es).
If you work for an employer whose business does not consit in carrying on private security activities, you must still have an agent licence if you carry out private security activities and this is your main activity.
Is it my main activity?
A main activity is a task that you carry out on an ongoing basis or to which you are specifically assigned, for example, based on the detailed job description for your position.
The main nature of an activity is determined based on a case-by-case study of the duties and responsibilities of an employee, not on the number of hours dedicated to each task.
2. "I do not carry on any private security activities, but I will be the immediate superior of those who do".
Go the Licence without right to practise section.
Anyone who acts as the immediate superior of security agents but does not carry on a private security activity himself/herself must hold an agent licence in the appropriate class. However, this person is exempt from providing proof of having successfully completed the mandatory training. He/she is therefore issued a "licence without right to practise".
If you are the immediate superior of security agents for an employer whose business does not consist in carrying on private security activities, you must still have an agent licence without right to practise if this is your main activity.
What is an immediate superior?
An immediate superior is the line manager who represents the first level of authority above a private security agent and having direct control over the performance of that agent's duties.
An immediate superior does not necessarily have this title. The role is determined by the hierarchical relationship with an agent.
3. "My services are temporarily required for a specific event, a training session or internship, or the special needs of an investigation".
Go to the Temporary Licence section.
BSP can issue a temporary licence valid for up to 120 days under the following circumstances:
Training: while you are receiving training that may qualify you to be issued an agent licence, particularly to complete an internship
Investigation: if the special needs of an investigation justify retaining your services, particularly to act as an undercover of double agent
Specific event: to meet temporary labour needs for a special event, such as a sports or cultural event, labour dispute, disaster or pandemic.
Wondering if you're required to hold an agent licence or what class of licence you should apply for?
Write to us at email@example.com and provide us with a detailed description of your job. We will guide you!